U.K, EU, AFRICA CONFERENCES: Invited Speaker and Attendee
- INVITED TO SPEAK. March 20-21, 2015.
“Aspects of American Culture“ Erfurt, GermanyThis teacher training event is an annual event jointly organized by the Muhlenberg Center for American Studies (MCAS), the federal departments responsible for teacher trainings and school development of Thuringia and Saxony-Anhalt (Thillm and LISA), the U.S. Consulate General Leipzig, and the U.S. Embassy Berlin.
- November 13,14,15. 2014 Attendee, Looking Forward: Current Projects in American Studies, JFK-I, FU; Berlin
- Oct 2014: Attendee, 7th Screenwriting Research Network International Conference, Film University Babelsberg, Berlin
- May 2013: Invited Speaker, Kenneth Burke: Rhetoric, Equipment for Living, Faculty of Psychology & Educational Sciences, University of Ghent. Title of paper: “Insider Dealings: Hollywood as Corporate Symbol Mis-user.”
- Sept 2012: Invited Speaker, Myths R-US, Nationality in Television and Film, Wisconsin, USA. Paper title: “Michael Cimino: Myth Buster.”
- Aug 2012: Keynote Speaker, Inaugural Gauteng Women in Film and Television Partnership Seminar, Open Window, Centurion South Africa
- July 2012: Attendee, Subjectivitat nach der Subjektcritik, Centre for Transdisciplinary Gender Studies, Humboldt University, Berlin
- April 2012: Speaker, Film Education, CILECT African Regional Conference, Cape Town, South Africa. Paper title: “Though Film Praxis and Theory, Starring Micael Foucault.” (with Gregory du Tertre).
Whether one is teaching and learning in a Film School or Art School, one recurring and increasingly fraught institutional complication emerges in answering the question: how are we to evolve essentially what were not long ago vocationally orientated curricular into the more academically demanding expectations of Higher Education to which most of us are now bound? The CILECT Conference of 2001 in Ljubljana was specifically focused on this issue. One of its several speakers, Tuula Mehtonon from Helsinki, crystallized the problem well: “Because our department is affiliated to a university, we are duty bound to direct students towards writing reflective and analytical material on their main subject”. Eleven years on, this talk and accompanying short film presentation is designed to contribute to this debate both within CILECT and beyond. It will detail one recent attempt by the speakers to extend and elaborate upon film student’s zones of proximal development – by directly engaging, that is, vocationally- orientated senior students with the sometimes forbidding realm of the critical tradition. As such the talk will explore the ‘Indy Minds’ Assignment Project as it was conceived at the Tshwane University Film Programme in 2011 where, not incidentally, the theory and analysis ‘spinach’ strand is a uniquely compulsory element across the curricular for all students. While Course Leader Dr. Alan Taylor will initially share the pedagogic considerations and strategies behind ‘Indy Minds’, senior student Gregory du Tertre (2012 M-tech student, proposed) will present and reflect upon his experience as director/writer of his team’s resultant 5 minute film – with its dramatic focus on a key plot point in the life and times of a leading critical thinker and author. The 20 minute talk and viewing will, it is hoped, prompt further debate concerning the raising the informed praxis of our new millennium Film Students and advance thereby our own duty-bound remit as recalled from Ljubljana, 2001.” END
- Oct 2011: Invited Speaker, Not Just Fred and Ginger, EU Association of Dance Historians & Film Studies, London Metropolitan University. Paper title: “Two Steps Forward, One Step Back: New Hollywood’s Close Encounters with the Musical.”
- July 2011: Attendee. The Rise of Africa, International Symposium of Cultural Diplomacy, Berlin
- July 2011: Speaker & Panel Chair, Inaugural Film and Media Conference, Institute of Education, University of London. Paper: “Media Literacies in South Africa.”
- May 2011: Attendee, Screenwriting Workshop, The Writers Guild of South Africa, Johannesburg
- Jan 2011: Attendee CARA/AFDA Conference on Film Education, Johannesburg, South Africa
- Oct 2010: Invited Speaker, XIII. International Film & Media Studies Conference, Sapientia University, Romania
- 2010: 3RD Attendee, International Graduate Conference, John F. Kennedy Institute of North American Studies, Free University, Berlin
- 2008: Attendee XXIX International Psychology Conference, Berlin
- 2005: Attendee, EdiT Filmmakers Conference, The Art and Science of the Moving Image, Frankfurt/Main, Germany